Here are the latest updates on the Ebola Virus Outbreak:
- In efforts to slow the spread of the Ebola Virus, Sierra Leone, Guinea, and Liberia have decided to implement ancient medieval tactics to cordon off highly affected areas. This measure is something that was used long ago to fight the Bubonic Plague. Cross border isolation zones have been set up and they are being patrolled by armed guards. Much needed medical supplies and food will be coming to the sanitary barriers but nobody will be permitted to leave the isolation zones. Hadja Saran Darab, the Secretary General of the Mano River Union, had this to say about the new measures being implemented, “We have agreed to take important and extraordinary actions at the inter-country level to focus on cross-border regions that have more than 70 percent of the epidemic.” Although this may be effective, it still leaves 30 percent on opposite side of the barrier and it may prove difficult to keep people from leaving, especially if they feel they aren’t receiving what they need inside the barrier.
- The current death toll from the Ebola Virus outbreak now stands at 1069 Ebola deaths.
- The last remaining does of the experimental Ebola treatment serum Zmapp arrived in Liberia yesterday. They were carried personally by Augustine Ngafuan and they will be given to two sick African doctors. The company who makes Zmapp has said their supplies are now exhausted and it will take multiple months to produce even small amounts of the serum.
- A Canadian company has pledged to donate up to one thousand does of their untested Ebola vaccine to the World Health Organization (WHO). However, it is unknown how scientists can even determine if the vaccine works and there are lots of questions being asked about who will receive the vaccines.
- A third person in Nigeria has now died from Ebola. He had been quarantined after he came in contact with the Liberian-American Patrick Sawyer who died from Ebola a month ago.